Wednesday, July 1, 2020

July Goals


For several years I have been keeping a spreadsheet of all my quilting projects awaiting completion. At the beginning of the year, the spreadsheet lists all works in progress down one column, with months stretching out to the right. I schedule which projects will be touched in each month. New projects are added to the list.  As the year progresses, some of the scheduled tasks are moved out or erased.  There are several WIPs that I know will remain untouched during the year, but they are not forgotten -- because they are still on the list.

Then as I work on each project I color in the month's square so I can see progress.  This spreadsheet is very colorful! New projects are listed in red text. Monthly progress is colored blue. Projects left to marinate until next year are shaded light green. Focus projects are shaded bright yellow (remember that "PHD in 2020" goal?). Completed projects are marked in bright orange with a big "DONE" in the month. This spreadsheet is what helps me stay organized.  Please share your project organization ideas!


My goal in July is to accomplish the following tasks:
1. Finish the Ice Cream Parfait flimsy. I sewed and trimmed 50 half-square triangles last night. Only 33 more to go to assemble the sawtooth border. This is my OMG (monthly goal).
2. Add borders to Beginning Quilt. I finally ripped off the original borders. This project is my first attempt to quilt, before I knew to use a smaller stitch length. It was ridiculously easy to remove the border seams. The new border fabric is on hand, along with backing and binding.

3. Sandwich and quilt Tessellations / Formal Affair. Quilting will be diagonal, possibly with a couple loops around each block's bowties. If you have any better ideas for a simple quilting design, I definitely would welcome them.
4. Make final blocks for Pine Tree. Earlier this week I cut more greens for five blocks, but need to cut more background. All the block borders, sashing and outer border pieces are already cut. This is an OLD project and I really want to finish it in 2020.
5. Add borders to Awesome Land. While perusing Etsy, I found an awesome light gray for the outer border. I will shop my stash for the orange and dark gray borders. 
6. Stretch goal - Cut new setting triangles for 1860s Revival. I calculated how to cut the 3.5 yards of dusty blue to make setting triangles and a final 2.5 inch border. It's a complicated plan involving cuts down the length rather than width-of-fabric, but not all the way because I need an extra half inch for two of the big squares.
7. Stretch goal - Rip and fix quilting begun for Arcadian Chain. This quilt is blocking my midarm from touching any of the other numerous quilt flimsies hanging in the Black Hole Closet.

In between these tasks, I have several Lady of the Lake blocks to piece as leader-enders. This should keep me busy and distract attention from the 45-100 new quilts on my wish list. Hopefully.

Linking to One Monthly Goal at Elm Street Quilts
Linking to Oh Scrap

6 comments:

  1. I'm partial to basket blocks and your unusual setting caught my eye! I had that EZ Quilts leaflet (and all the others in the series, I think)--though I don't think I made any quilts from any of them! You might like this article from Sunday's Chicago Tribune about the history of the Ninety-Nines:
    https://www.chicagotribune.com/history/ct-opinion-flashback-ninety-nines-amelia-earhart-20200626-237jjde4pfh63kcmpdzj4hului-story.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ambitious goals! Good luck!
    As I scrolled down I thought "oh, that's my favorite", then I scrolled a little more and thought "oh, that's my favorite"..so I guess I don't have a favorite.

    I like your color schemes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have so many beautiful projects going on here! I came for the baskets, but enjoyed all of them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoy! Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and good luck on your project.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your Awesome Land quilt is beautiful! I love the colors you've used.
    Good luck with all your goals for July.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The accountant in you is coming through with the use of that spreadsheet - great goals for July.

    ReplyDelete