Monday, July 6, 2020

Everything Old is New Again

Friday was a holiday from work in honor of Saturday's Independence Day. That extra day helped me catch up on old and new quilting projects. Some yard work was also done, plus a bit a swimming and lounging in the pool.

First, I finished my OMG (one monthly goal) by adding the sawtooth border around Ice Cream Parfait.

BUT... I don't like it. I had deviated from the suggested border by turning it out (colored points on the outside). So I am changing my mind and flipping the border to have the colored edge on the outside. Why didn't I follow the original pattern??? Rip, rip, ripping tonight. OMG version 2 will be done this week.  I will adjust to remove some of the ripples, too.

Then the Pine Trees quilt took center stage. The blocks and sashing are now connected into an almost-finished-top.  Then it dawned on me that there was a thin inner border of dark green which was NOT in my project bag. Yikes! This project is nearly 30 years old! What are the chances that the solid green is still in my stash somewhere? Ahhhh, I unearthed the green, matched it to the fabric already used and voila!  Cut and ready to add.

This is such an old project. It was interesting to see how my precision had improved, and my choices about the block assembly was so much better (no guidance given in the pattern). This project felt almost new again. I really like the bold graphic design. It appealed to the younger me and it still appeals to the (slightly) older me.

Hope you had a productive weekend, too!

2 comments:

  1. Interesting decision about those HSTs. I don't think I would redo them, but I'm lazy that way. It's AMAZING that you still had the green border fabric for the trees! Best of luck on finishing these up, Sandy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh you got so much done. orders can be a bit of a hurdle.

    ReplyDelete