Sunday, July 12, 2020

Border Bonanza

Hello! This weekend was a border bonanza! While staying inside in the afternoon to avoid the super hot temperatures and high humidity of South Carolina, I got busy and added borders to THREE quilts.

First up was finishing the Pine Trees flimsy, from an old EZQuilts brochure. I think the binding should be that dark emerald green. Will have to buy more because that scrap I found to finish the last inner border did not leave enough for binding strips.

Second was reapplying the sawtooth border to Ice Cream Parfait, based on the Basket of Chips pattern on quilterscache.  This time I flipped the half square triangles so the colorful edge was on the outside.  I admit the border is still a bit wavy. The triangles are perfect, so it must be the center of the quilt.  That diagonal set did it to me. If you have any suggestions on how to fix, I would love to hear them! I am ready to be done with this one, so I may just leave it alone and "quilt it out". Adding the final border was my OMG goal for July. Done! 

Third was finishing the borders on my very first quilt. I ripped off the awkward borders applied over 30 years ago. Although I'm not quite finished, this border layout is so much better. The ticking stripes of the final border finish it nicely and demand a mitered corner treatment. This quilt is long overdue for its finish. I am MUCH happier with it.  I have several clever ideas for FMQ in those plain tan sashings. It will have to marinate a bit while I prepare a few other quilts for the midarm.

Stay cool my friends!

1 comment:

  1. Wow!!! Borders for THREE quilts in ONE weekend? Way to go, Sandy!

    ReplyDelete