Monday, January 24, 2022

January Progress

Winter weather means more time indoors catching up on chores and Creative Time. Do you try to get through your task list, too, before allowing yourself to play with fabric?  Quilting is my reward. I turn on the bluetooth speaker and jam to my favorite tunes while sewing. It's my happy time.

The stars aligned so that I could get some significant quilting time recently.

Finally FINALLY finished quilting Heading Home. The scrappy binding strips were ready to go in a baggie, so the binding is on and ready to be hand-stitched down. I wonder should be quilted next? There's plenty to choose in the quilting closet. I need your help choosing what to quilt next.

Flying Flags has its border on. The flag fabric backing was not wide enough, so I added dark blue star fabric to the edges. The aqua binding strips are cut and waiting in a baggie. The quilt scheme right now is wavy lines across the quilt with stars in alternate rows. Should this one get quilted next?

The Jackknife blocks called out loudly for assembly. I started stitching the blocks together and decided the bulky seam matching was not doing it for me. I dug out a solid dark aqua and found just enough for thin sashing and a plain border. Thin sashing is definitely the way to go on these blocks!  But it sure does take a while to assemble all those blocks. Now that it is together, I almost wish I had made one more row for a 6x8. Almost. But it's together now and I have a great backing fabric. If there is enough dark aqua left for the binding I will use it, but right now I may use extra backing (white-based print) for binding. Should this one get quilted next instead of the flags?

By the way, scrappy blocks seem to explode all over my shirt. Check out this thread mess!

January's color is red, but I have not sewn any red blocks yet. Which RSC blocks should I make?  Diamond Friendship Squares, Crumb StarsChaser Blocks or Jacks and Sixes? Those diamonds have caught my eye, but I also really like the Jacks, maybe alternating backgrounds between color and neutral.   


The only new project I have added is Bonnie Hunter's Rhododendrum Trail. Five of Block A have been completed. I don't need to make a big quilt, so am thinking about makining only 12 Block A and 6 Block B. There are already a few examples online of smaller versions like that. The colors are a bit washed out in this picture - but it's evidence that I actually made some blocks. Are you working on this pattern, too?

Linking to Monday Making   and  Oh Scrap!



3 comments:

  1. Decisions, decisions. I like all the blocks shown but after making a million blocks 6" finished I decided this year that I would make a bigger block for RSC. I have a 9" Accuquilt Cube so I picked a block from there -- my end blocks will be 9" fin. My plan was to only make 3 blocks of each color and call it done. OOPS. Next thing I knew I had started another set of blocks. So, I now have two different blocks being made for RSC. Crumb stars would really allow you to use a lot of smaller scraps. I like all the choices so I'm no help on picking! I gave up on Bonnie's mystery quilts many years ago. I currently have 1 unfinished and a smaller top from one of her books needing a border. Have fun finishing RT. It really looks good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats on closing in on a finish!! My vote is Flying Flags for the next turn under the quilting needle. As for which RSC block to do in RED... make them ALL!!! :o))

      Delete
  2. So many great projects here! I love the Jacknife blocks and R Trail too. Cannot wait to see what you go with for this year!

    ReplyDelete