Wednesday, December 23, 2020

2020 Wrap Up

We are finally reaching the end of the year we though would NEVER end!  At the beginning of this year, I had set ambitious goals as part of the "PHD in 2020" program by quiltinggail.com.  Then the COVID-19 pandemic happened. And a house move. Instead of completing 12 quilts, I focused on advancing old UFOs to the flimsy stage. That's okay by me.

PHD in 2020 Scorecard

1. Monkey Wrench (my first quilt) - I took an old flimsy from the 80s, removed the horrific borders and put on MUCH nicer borders. I'm proud of how it looks now. The backing is on hand, a quilting design has been sketched and it is ready for quilting.

2. Winter Pines - I finished the final blocks of this lovely quilt and assembled it. Once I find a suitable backing, it will be ready to quilt. I have most of the quilting design worked out.

3. Arcadian Chain - I removed the pitiful quilting I had done and started a new design. Most of the stitching has been done; I hope to finish the FMQ over the next few days. Then I can add binding in January and finish this quilt.

4. Tessellations Formal Affair - I finished the final blocks and assembled the flimsy. The backing and binding are ready for the final stage.

5. Out of This World mystery quilt from Pat Sloan - The blocks were assembled early this year. The backing and binding is on hand. Need to come up with a quilting design and it will be ready for quilting.

6. Wendler Legacy - Not much progress happened. I came up with a cutting strategy for the sashing triangles but still have not cut any fabric.

The six other PHD 2020 projects selected were untouched. Floribunda is still awaiting assembly. The 2015 Craftsy Sampler, RSC15 Sampler, Tansy Garden, In the 'Hood and Highland Fling mystery tops are waiting for quilting.

Instead I pulled out other older projects.  

Progress on Other UFOs

1. Patriotic Tobacco Road project from 2018 - I decided to make little star blocks to replace pinwheel blocks in the original design. I will need something like 80 blocks; about 25 are done.  

2. Lady of the Lake project started in 2013 - Made about 20 blocks and cut parts for others.

3. Double Delight from 2018 - All the blocks are done (applause!!!) and assembled. It is awaiting final borders. I may have a backing; need to check.

4. En Provence from 2016 - I made a few more neutral 4-patches and counted parts again. I'm planning a concerted effort to finish this one in 2021.

Finishes and New Starts

I had finished my two RSC19 projects (Pixelated and Extra Fancy) in January 2020. Somehow this allowed me to justify starting SEVEN new projects.  

1. Heading Home - This pattern was so much fun to make, in spite of requiring a million flying geese. The flimsy is ready for quilting.

2. RSC20 Bricolage - I actually didn't follow the monthly color scheme, just dug through scraps occasionally to make some little Greek Cross blocks. The blocks are only six inches, so it will take many more blocks before being ready to assemble.

3. Awesome Land - I loved digging through my orange and black/gray scraps (and those donated by a quilting friend) to make this Lissa Anderson quilt. The blocks are assembled and are awaiting the three borders which are ready to go after collecting a bit more dust. LOL

4. Basket of Chips - I was able to use up scraps to make these blocks, and repurpose fabric that had originally been intended for Wendler Legacy. The flimsy is ready for quilting.

5. Anita's Arrowhead Christmas - I made a few blocks from Christmas fabric hoarded over the years. I'm ready to make more blocks in 2021.

6. My Neighborhood - This quilt was started once we finally found our dream home. The pattern from Moda was free and SO MUCH FUN TO MAKE!  The flimsy is ready for quilting.

7. Bear Claw Plaid - This quilt was started when we began moving into our log home. Our bed needed a bear claw quilt to go with all the black bear carvings around the house. I have nine out of 20 blocks done and the rest are cut out. 

So let's do the math. I started the year with 25 projects, finished 2 and added 7. Oooh boy. Now I have 30 projects in progress, of which 14 are tops/flimsys ready for quilting. 

How do you feel about your quilting progress in 2020? 

7 comments:

  1. You may not have finished as many projects as you had hoped, but with so many quilt tops, you've set yourself up for a productive 2021. May the new year be filled with SEW much quilting and a fair amount of finishing, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are so many wonderful projects here! I'm afraid I tend to start more quilts than I finish. But it is really a great feeling when I do get one completely done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is a lot going on in your seeing room. Wonderful, you will never run out of things to work on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like quilting is a great plan for the new year. So many beautiful projects to work on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love them all, but Awesome Land is my favourite .... the colours are gorgeous and go together perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely finishes and many more on their way to the finish line.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great quilt tops! Thanks for linking up and happy new year!

    ReplyDelete