Monday, August 10, 2020

New House

At the end of this week we are scheduled to close on our new house - a log cabin. Is that a quilting-themed house or what? Our realtor pulled off a last-minute sweetheart deal to make this sale happen. And she is a sweetheart, too.  So.....I am making her a house-themed quilt.  After searching the web for ideas, I settled on the Moda "Be My Neighbor" pattern.  The price is right, too (FREE ---here).  

The blocks in this pattern are huge (15.5 to 18.5 inches) and not too 'fiddly' but not too simple, either.  There are sixteen blocks in this top, some with applique and all begging for scrappy, colorful fabrics. In one week I had eight blocks done, except for stitching down the ironed-on applique, and last night I finished 1.5 more blocks (just need to cut and stitch the tree fabric). I may actually have the top done by Friday!  I am using fabrics from a couple Connecting Threads fat quarter packs (Heirloom Manor and Oh My Darling) with a cream background.
This pattern is from 2016 and it is finally the right time for me to make it. The houses are cute, cute, cute! Plus this is a pattern that begs you to have fun with the quilting process, too. I can't wait to stitch curtains in the windows, clapboard siding, bricks, roof shingles, a slight wave in the background simulating a soft breeze, and play with cursive Ls in the thin sashing.

Oh, quick question....should I change up the top left tree and make it all the same green print like the second tree? I'm leaning toward fixing that.

Linking up to #MCMQuilts (Main Crush Monday), #SlowSundayStitching, #MondayMaking and #TogetherWeQuilt (Connecting Threads hashtag), #ModaBeMyNeighbor.

6 comments:

  1. It will be a lovely quilt. The different tree adds interest to the quilt, I would leave it. In nature not all trees are alike.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the tree with a variety of greens. But I "think" what might be bothering you is the greens bounce around in depth of color. The first three are light to medium. Then the next three look dark. Perhaps if you changed the pieces around to flow from light to dark better you will like it better. On the other hand, it would be a LOT easier to use matching colors for all the tree section -- just make each tree a different green. It's going to be a great quilt and what a lucky agent to receive it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful house quilt! I started it, but wow! You are one fast sewist! I really liked your tree with the different colors. It seems like the sun is shining on top, then gradually the tree goes darker where the "sun" doesn't hit. Maybe you should make the other blocks and then decide what to do?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on the new house, Sandy!! I wouldn't change the tree you've already made. Just add another scrappy one (if there's another tree to make!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would leave the tree as is. When have you ever seen a tree in nature where every leaf was exactly the same color?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very fun blocks! Congrats on your new house, hope packing and moving goes really smoothly.

    ReplyDelete