Thursday, March 26, 2020

Pandemic Update

Hello from sunny South Carolina where we are huddled in our houses and staying well within our yards to avoid the nasty COVID-19 virus. This is MY pandemic update.

My employer has divided us into two teams who alternate work days. I am on the "A Team". Yup. I hung posters of the old television show A Team in my team mates' offices.

Today was one of my off days. I am SO enjoying this new schedule, in spite of the serious reason underlying the situation.  I am able to make my weekly trip to the grocery store, catch up on housework, bake fresh bread, cook healthy meals, clean up my neglected yard and YES sew!

I dug deep into my stash and found more orange prints for my quilt Awesome Land. With this extra time sequestered at home, I finished sewing six rows of the quilt and cut enough orange scraps to add another row without repeating any of the orange fabrics. Now I just need to find more orange prints for two more rows.  My neighbor is a quilter, too. This afternoon I visited her doorway, carefully remaining six feet apart. We admired each other's quilts -- she was working on the most gorgeous batik quilt with floral applique.

Spring has sprung in my area. The azaleas are beginning to bloom. Unfortunately, so are the dandelions.  We tested the sprinkler system and repaired where our pest control guy punctured a line when burying a bug trap. A few days ago I planted seeds in my two raised beds. Today the lettuce seeds have popped up.  Maybe this year the seedlings will thrive now that I limed the heck out of the soil. It's amazing how helpful it can be to have your soil tested. The local extension office is just around the corner from my office (right now the extension office is closed).

So is anyone taking bets we will really ease up the restrictions by Easter?  Both South Carolina and nearby Georgia governors have closed schools through April 24. Most likely the federal government will ease up, but states whose peak has not yet been reached will continue with restrictions.  I guess it all depends on if New York's experiments with plasma, malaria drugs and potential vaccines prove beneficial enough. As far as I know, no one in my family has been sick. And I pray that continues to be the case.

Stay healthy, my friends! And take time to smell the roses!

5 comments:

  1. Oh, geez!! I guess that means you don't need my orange scraps now, do you? SEW glad that you found enough to get your AWESOME quilt top together! :o))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, WAIT!! I should have read more carefully. Off to dig in the stash for more orange for you...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joy! I will send you something fun. Making it helped me figure out how I want to quilt Awesome Land.

      Delete
  3. Well, of COURSE you’re on the A Team, LOL!! I’m jealous that you’re into spring; we had snow twice this week. It melted the same day, but it’s still cold and breezy here in the Salt Lake area. At least we haven’t had any more earthquakes. Just say the word if you need more (cootie-free) orange scraps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cathy! I have a couple people sending me orange strips so I should be okay to finish up the last two rows. I like your teal projects!

      Delete