Wednesday, December 26, 2018

Planning for 2019

Hello! I hope you had a merry Christmas holiday and are looking forward to beginning a new year.

Last week I came up with my final count of quilting projects and measured my accomplishments / activities in lights of the goals I had set for 2018.  It was a good feeling to realize that I had met or at least nearly met the goals I had set.  Now that is the week between Christmas and New Year's Day I find myself thinking about my plans for the next year.

Doing some freestyle word association, I was thinking in terms of explore, discover and learn, but these words alone did not encompass the spirit of courage and boldness that I wanted. The theme I chose for 2019 is Venture.  Venture brings to mind "adventure" and venturing into the great unknown.

GOAL #1:  Try a new technique (e.g. scallop border, curved piecing, T-shirt quilt)

I also decided to drop the UFO acronym and call my unfinished projects "Works in Process". They are WIPs that I will eventually whip into a finished quilt. Hah!  Currently I have 14 works in process plus 8 flimsies for a total of 22.

GOAL #2:  (continued from 2018) Reduce WIP count in half.

Venture also means project and undertaking and mission.  My impression of the many quilting blogs I read is that most of these talented quilters are much more prolific than me. My count varies between 6 to 10 projects completed in a year. I have 22 WIPs and a long wish list, so if I want to try new things, I need to work more efficiently.

GOAL #3: Use leader-ender technique to sew more projects.

Most of us use the blog forum to share pictures of our quilting projects and share a little of our lives with readers. Yet I want to document my quilts more formally and save more information than what I keep in my blog. Plus I want to keep track of my count. As a pilot I have a logbook to track my flight hours in various airplane types, cross-country time and instruction time.  I'm not planning to track sewing hours, just keep a record of my quilting projects. Maybe I will keep a record of other sewing projects such as clothing, bags and table runners. Maybe.

GOAL #4: Document my quilts.

I am creating a form which will include the quilt title, pattern, pattern designer, who quilted it, size, dates started/completed, batting, gift recipient (if I didn't hoard it myself), and a notes section to explain how I chose the design and fabric, and include at least one picture of the quilt.  And a sequence number <grin>.  Stay tuned this year to find out my final count!

Image result for quilting clipart
Linking up with JetGirl at #2019PlanningParty.




8 comments:

  1. Venture sounds like a great word for the year. I hope that having goals helps you through the year and you have a lot of joy as you work on them. Thank you for sharing and linking up with the Planning Party!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Yvonne! Eventually I will learn (from you?) how to set up a linky party and add a button. Good luck with your own ventures!

      Delete
  2. Venture is a word with so much movement to it. I wish you well in achieving your goals.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, all of these goals are great! I love the word you selected and your goal to use leaders/enders is really smart! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting my blog! I just checked out your blog as well.

      Delete
  4. I liked your explanation that venture includes courage... it does... good luck with your goals... you will do it I bet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally agree with your plan to document your quilts more completely OFF the blog. We are at the mercy of the blog host and using the blog as our only record could be dangerous if Blogger pulled any plugs. Good overall plan -- good luck!

    ReplyDelete