Sunday, January 21, 2018

Sapphire Stars Progress

Today was such a beautiful day in South Carolina!  Is it still winter? Well yeah, because there is supposed to be at least one more cold blast coming next week. But in the meantime I got to fly!  This afternoon I piloted my trusty taildragger in big circles over the airport doing some landing practice. It's amazing how flying always lifts my mood (literally I guess). I feel more balanced and ready to conquer the world.

At least I am conquering my UFO backlog. This past week I prepped the backing for Big Star County quilt. The Magnolia Mystery quilt is assembled, but there is not enough background fabric left to use as a backing. Oh wait, I just discovered SEVEN yards of turquoise fabric I had set aside after selecting an alternative backing on another quilt. Yes!  Two UFOs will soon go to the longarmer and will be quickly bound and finished.  One more UFO to go then I will let myself start another project. <squealing in delight>

And that one UFO will be Sapphire Stars. This week I cut the final neutral triangles and began assembling the blocks. Today I attached the sashing.  Check this out:
Kevin, you came up with a really fun pattern! The blocks are big which makes it a breeze to ease some of the triangle-angley-issues I tend to have. One of the ladies who made this quilt in time for Kevin's gallery had opted to group the reds and yellows which inspired me to do the same. Next step is to assemble the borders and I can check off a third UFO finish. Oops, gotta find a backing for this one, too.

Little Fox Patch Pal from Quiltmaker magazine of July/August 2014 also came out of the closet.
The borders were sewn on years ago, but I didn't get another picture. After assembling enough leftover batting to use for this little guy and a little touch-up with the iron, he is ready to be sandwiched for free motion quilting. And BAM! another UFO will be done.

Up next will likely be assembly of Grand Illusion and Colorado Sunshine (also known as Floribunda), both of which are Bonnie Hunter designs.  Or maybe 1860's Revival with its zig-zag sashing will come out of hiding.

Hopefully I can keep up the UFO-busting burst of energy. Then maybe I will be able to admit how many UFO projects I really have left.  It's kind of like not wanting to admit my age.  Do you find yourself hesitant to disclose your UFO count?

Also, at what point does a few orphan blocks become a UFO?  Do we count a pile of fabrics set aside for a project?  And is there a statute of limitations?  I have a UFO from 25 years ago that is still folded up waiting for a border fix and longarming; should it count?  Inquiring minds want to know!

2 comments:

  1. Congrats! on getting the Kevin Mystery together. It looks fabulous!! I'm planning on a similar configuration for my quilt, too... whenever I get back to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I wasn't thrilled with the blank corners, so I carefully measured and figured out the piano key sides can extend and dovetail nicely with the horizontal top/bottom strips.

      Delete