Monday, January 25, 2021

Arcadian finish and RSC

Arcadian Chain has been completed!  In 2018 Connecting Threads introduced a fabric line Arcadian Dusk which had a warm palette of blues, burgundy, rusty orange, browns, and cream. I used two 10-inch stacks, plus fabric from an earlier Connecting Threads line Heirloom Manor, to sew a simple pattern of nine patches and solid squares to create this Irish Chain style quilt. 



When quilting this project, I stitched a chain link in each of the cream chain squares, then got stuck when trying to figure out what to do with the larger colorful blocks. I wanted to emphasize the colored blocks. After attempting some swooping arcs that looked more jagged than smooth arcs, I spent hours with a seam ripper and finally tried again.  I wanted the colored blocks to really stand out, which meant I needed a less complicated and less dense design. A simple cross hatch did the trick. Then I decided on a rope-like design on the inner border and a simple piano keys treatment for the outer border. This quilt is really striking and I am proud of it.

Many of you quilting bloggers are participating in the Rainbow Scrap Challenge 2021. I admit it. I was quite jealous of all the bright blocks being posted. I have enjoyed participating in past years, but I have this long list of unfinished projects accumulating in my sewing room. How could I add to it? Finally I caved. 

I decided to make large blocks similar to Good Morning Sunshine by QuiltDivaJulie. That only used up a small handful of scraps. Maybe I should add another RSC project?

Then I saw those pretty Jackknife blocks Bonnie Hunter was making.  After digging up the Sept/Oct 2020 Quiltmaker magazine, I started cutting fabrics for four blocks and began stitching. Oh no! The instructions were wrong! Those hourglass units ended up a full inch too small. [And Quiltmaker did not acknowledge the error on their Addicted to Scraps page.]  If you are considering making this block, Unit C must start with 4.25 inch squares (or better yet, 4.5 inch), not 3.25 inch squares.  I did not have quite enough of one neutral print to redo those units so had to substitute another white fabric. 


A cascade of my own stitching errors made these blocks more difficult and frustrating than they should have been. Finally, I sewed the last stitch and pressed the blocks. Whew - the pinks are done for January.

Aargh! Two more projects to add to my list! Maybe I need to finish up some of the smaller projects to alleviate my guilt. 

Linking to SoScrappy and Monday Making.



4 comments:

  1. I love the Jackknife block! Must consider that for a future make. Can't wait to see the stitching on the quilt unclose, it's a lovely project.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to cave on RSC! I am happy to be doing it again too this year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking forward to see the completed quilt, Sandy, and I'm SEW excited that you are joining in the RSC21 fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been admiring Bonnie's Jackknife blocks too. Thanks for the heads up on the pattern...will make a note on my page. They may not be aware of it--email them!

    ReplyDelete