Friday, January 31, 2020

PHD in 2020

You find the most interesting things randomly surfing the web!

For the past several years, the theme of my quilting plan has been to reduce UnFinished Objects (UFOs) or Works in Progress (WIPs). QuiltingGail has challenged us to earn a PHD in 2020.


PHD stands for Projects Half Done. We have to select at least 12 projects to complete in 2020, tell everyone about them via blogpost and track their progress. Okay, I'm in!

That means I need to change my game plan for 2020 a bit. Rather than making 2020 the year for Plaids with three or four projects, I will drop that idea and focus on finishing several of my oldest projects interspersed with a few 'squirrel' projects.  Here are my 12 goals:

# 1 - Arcadian Chain. This is a quilt I began in 2018 that must be finished quickly so it can be gifted. The top just needs pressing, then it can be sandwiched and quilted. I sketched out a quilting plan yesterday.

#2 - Beginning Quilt. I made this quilt from an old Eleanor Burns book back in the 1980s. It has been languishing for more than 30 years [OMG thirty?!!!].  I have decided to remove the top and bottom border and rework it so I don't cringe every time I look at it. Then I can quilt it and be done with this one. [It needs a catchy name, Cathy or Joyce--HELP!]
#3 - Winter Pines, another project from the 1980s. My late grandmother loved this pattern. It only needs a few more blocks sewn and will be ready to finish off with simple quilting. I need to find a white-ish backing.
#4 - Floribunda, a project began in 2012 based on Bonnie Hunter's design. I believe all the blocks are made and the pieced border is nearly finished. I found a great backing a few years ago at Connecting Threads. What on earth am I waiting for? Oh yeah, assembling all those blocks.
#5 - 1960's Revival, a project began in 2013 from an obsession with the Double X block pattern. I did not have enough denim blue for the background so purchased another blue. It's time to finish this up! I found a toile fabric as the backing for this one. It's the background fabric and quilting plan that has held up this finish.
#6 - Craftsy Sampler from 2015. I got stuck trying to decide on the border. Now I will slap on a 5 inch white border, sandwich with the backing fabric I chose, and play with the FMQ plan included in the class materials. The backing is a white with light blue print.
#7 - RSC15 Sampler. I made a concerted effort in 2018 to finish this top, then put it aside to focus on other projects. I need to add some plain white strips to float the edge. This is my favorite sampler and I have a cool backing fabric ready to go. Time to move this one to the Done pile.
#8 - In the 'Hood, an evapaigedesigns quilt sewn in 2017. I have the backing fabric and a great quilting design ready to go. Beth, I promise to send you a pic once it is done!
#9 - Highland Fling mystery, another evapaigedesigns quilt, this one sewn in 2019. I saw a great example for the quilting plan. It just needs a little bit of effort and I can cross this one off the list.
#10 - A Formal Affiair, using the Tessellations line of fabrics from Connecting Threads. I need to lay out the blocks again and make a few more to bring it up to a lap-sized quilt. I have no idea how to quilt it, so would love to hear your suggestions.
#11 - Crap! I need TWELVE projects for this list?  Okay, then I choose Tansy Garden, a top I made in 2018 with Pepper & Flax fabrics. It is simply waiting for me to find a backing and design a quilting plan.

#12 - Out of This World mystery by Pat Sloan sewn last year. This was a fun one to make, and the backing is super cute. It needs a custom quilting plan and that is what has been holding me back. That, and the fact that I finally assembled it only two weeks ago.
Do you want to join me in the PHD quest?

2 comments:

  1. we all have phd/s but yours look almost finished..... so this should be a great year for you and storage space.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It might take me a couple years to finish this PHD list!

      Delete