Friday, August 31, 2018

Pineapple Crazy

Wow, it's been a whole month since my last post. Definitely time to check in again. 

Earlier this month I made a Pineapple block, fashioned after a pineapple quilt found while doing a web search on quilt-related query that was NOT related to a pineapple. Funny what one discovers while surfing.  Anyway, my daughter LOVES pineapple items. Pineapples are quite the craze with millennials and post-millennials. I gave it to her during our visit a few weeks ago as a house/apartment - warming present. She loved it! 

Somehow the entire month of August seems to have disappeared. August is such a long month, too!  At least I continued to work on two UFOs. The first one is a Patch Pal fox from Quiltmaker magazine. I did enough FMQ on it to apply the binding and am hand-stitching it down. The rest of the FMQ should go pretty well. It will be great to finally get this old project done.

The second UFO I am nearly finished with is the red/white disappearing 4-patch that was finally finished by my longarmer. The red micro-dot binding is ready to apply. There are lots of hearts stitched in variegated red/pink thread. I will post a close-up when the binding is done. 

Next up is more FMQ work to finish up the Red Cross quilt. You can bet I will show that one off!  It's been sitting and waiting for an embarrassingly long time.  

And....I have to confess that I have NOT worked on the August orange blocks for RSC18.  Swat me with a plastic ruler!  But I can remedy that situation this Labor Day weekend. And maybe I can dust off the cobwebs from my airplane and enjoy some time in the air. And file papers, and weed the landscaping, and sweep the floors, and clean out the junk drawer.  That's what happens on a long holiday weekend.  Hope you will enjoy your weekend, too!

By the way, my recent post about mentoring a young person has come to fruition, although their age is a bit younger than I expected. At the church I belong to, kids from the youth group are 'adopted' for the school year by other members so we can encourage them and pray for the kids.  I chose the envelope of a young boy whose parents I happened to know (surprising, with me being a newbie in the congregation). Then I decided to also 'adopt' a young girl whose parents I talk with at every church service. I am definitely praying for these kids - and their parents - and sending weekly cards. Sometime I will also give them small gifts, too. I am so glad this program exists and that I can participate.   

No comments:

Post a Comment