Friday, August 18, 2017

Mystery Quilts Progress

Am I crazy for participating in four and a half mystery quilts all at the same time?  The extra half is my ongoing En Provence mystery quilt of fall 2016 from Bonnie Hunter for which I am still sewing parts and assembling.

1) Alycia Quilts "Big Star Country" - Flimsy is together and ready for longarming if I can find a backing. My sewing machine died in the middle of the assembly, so I had to suffer through Sewing Withdrawal Syndrome (SWS) for a week while it was being repaired. As soon as it came home I finished up this flimsy.

2) Kevin the Quilter - Ready for clue #3 to arrive next week.


3) EvaPaige Quilts "In the 'Hood" - Final reveal came today. I cannot post the final block design until Beth reveals it on August 25th.  Cute blocks!  Update: Beth also shared my pic on Facebook! 


4) Meadow Mist Designs "Magnolia Mystery" - The fabrics I purchased originally just didn't excite me. Instead I found a black print (not the solid shown below) and some leftover blush-colored print to mix with my teals and background white-on-white print. There are lots of others who posted their fabric selection on Facebook which make me second guess my own. But I decided these colors felt right and I went ahead and cut my fabrics.

4.5) En Provence - Lots of quilters have posted their final versions which gave me ideas on how to alter the design slightly to make it my own. Here is a view of how my version is progressing. I am planning on 12 of the large blocks and will put solid pink centers on the stars to make them stand out. Bonnie Hunter designed this quilt and I really like it. But as you know, Bonnie's quilts require a LOT of sewing!

And I assembled a quick baby quilt for a friend. It's quick and easy! I'm planning on a fairly simply FMQ of half-inch spaced lines with an occasional daisy.

What projects or mystery quilts are you sewing?

10 comments:

  1. My sewing list looks very much like yours. Congrats! on your completed A6 Mystery quilt top. Nicely done!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I see you are working on Kevin's Sapphire Stars, too. It's been fun to dig through all my scraps. There was more variety than I expected. I can't wait to see how his mystery turns out.

      Delete
  2. Way to go Susan! Your version of Big Star Country uses the same colors I chose.......yours looks so clean and sleek! Your Sapphire Stars units looks WONDERFUL! Hope you are enjoying all of the mysteries!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kevin. I am definitely enjoying the mystery as each design unfolds.

      Delete
  3. Wowser!!! It looks so great!!! and your Sapphire stars is great too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your design is great for a QOV project. I am now thinking about how to quilt it. I add a few more stars in the background as part of the quilting motif.

      Delete
  4. I really like your A6! I posted mine, but I have to fix a BIG mistake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My seam ripper is getting dull because of its heavy use (LOL). Hope all goes well with your fix.

      Delete
  5. I don't think it's crazy at all. It's really fun to participate in well organized mystery quilt alongs, and these are all at different stages. I hope you enjoy them all. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Two of the mysteries are done and I finished the flimsies quickly, so it isn't so busy. The other two are keeping me intrigued - and they are monthly clues. Thanks for visiting my blog. I am starting to use the thread tail hint you posted on your blog.

      Delete