Sunday, January 4, 2015

Grand Illusion Progress report 5

In spite of spending nearly all day Saturday at a car dealership, I was able to fit in some sewing time this weekend.  My version of Bonnie Hunter's Grand Illusion mystery quilt is coming along nicely. Click on this link and you can see the color choices and slight variations of other quilters.

Step #1 Broken Dishes 1 - have 75, need 25 more
Step #2 Double Diamonds - have 58 need 42 more 
Step #3 Checkerboard - have 101 need 19 more
Step #4A Broken Dishes 2 - DONE
Step #4B Broken Dishes 3 - DONE
Step #5 - Four Patches - DONE

Fellow quilters, did you have problems turning the border blocks correctly?  Check out my initial attempt at the border. Something doesn't look quite right.  And I didn't figure it out until I laid it out with some blocks. The white triangles were supposed to be on the same 'row' as the black squares. I pulled some more blocks to make the sample above and will take the seam ripper to this one below.

Andee at Modern Diary blog called this pattern "busy" and it definitely is. Although to me, it reminds me of a painting. Up close the blobs of paint seem ugly, but when you step back you see the whole picture and the painting comes to life. That's what I think of Grand Illusion. As I followed along with each step, I would have sworn Bonnie was planning to use the yellow as the strong graphical element, but instead she surprised me by using the black to lead our eyes across the quilt.  You cannot see it up close, only when the blocks come together. Amazing!

Are you wondering about that car dealership visit? We finally bought a replacement car for my daughter, You might recall she was in a terrible accident just before Thanksgiving. She and my husband picked out a 2015 Hyundai Elantra. Oooh baby!  I drove it tonight and it was sweeeet!  Let's hope this one lasts longer than her belated Kia Rio (3 months 22 days).

8 comments:

  1. Looks good so far! I agree that the design looks better when you step back from it. I wasn't sure I liked it on the day it was revealed, but it has grown on me as I put it together.
    I haven't assembled the border yet, so thanks for the warning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw an example of a border turned the 'wrong' way, but it created nice blue/teal half stars along the edge. I may have to keep the first set and pull apart the 'right' set. Will try both with the inner yellow strip and see what makes me happier. I suggest sewing a sample set for yourself with your color choices.

      Delete
    2. Oooh, check out http://nanagirlquilts.blogspot.com/2015/01/the-reveal-grand-illusion.html. Her aqua is strong like mine and she used a lighter green which looks good.

      Delete
  2. Yours is looking great! I agree..step back and you can see it much better...I haven't got the space to really do that in the house but when it is done I will tote it outside for pics! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Andee. I couldn't hold off assembling blocks any longer. I just HAD to do it before finishing all the parts! You know what I mean!

      Delete
  3. I like your strong color choices. I totally agree with the standing back. I saw the design so much better when I took a picture and looked at it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the trick is a softer color in the green sashing. Oh well, let's see how it looks.

      Delete
  4. one of the things I like about this mystery is that it's a pattern I would never have chosen to make on my own.if I hadn't already made the sashing I would probably have switched to a solid sashing but I am looking forward to seeing how mine turns out once I have enough blocks together

    ReplyDelete