Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Grand Illusion update part 2

Thank you, fellow quilters, for your tips and encouragement!  Tonight I started cutting pieces to compete step 2 of Bonnie Hunter's Grand Illusion Mystery Quilt.  I thought about the stitch-and-flip method and considered trying the method published by Kathleen at Rose Prairie Quilts. Then I checked my coral yardage. I'm not sure I have enough to risk, so I decided to go with Bonnie's No Waste method.

First strip of neutral .... I cut those slanted pieces and looked at them. Didn't look right. I think I cut them slanting the wrong way.

Second and third strip of neutral ... I cut those slanted pieces the other direction and laid out the coral and black triangles to check again. Oh, the long part goes across the rectangle.  That means I cut the slant wrong this time and my first strip was right.

Next few strips of neutral.  Got it right.  Now to sew a few and check how they look.

Eureka, it worked!  And when I sewed two rectangles together, the points matched!!!!



<Sigh> 94 more to go.

Hey, just for fun, you may want to check out a free block-of-the-month called Sew Sweet Simplicity by Jacquelynne Steves.  I need another project like a hole in my head, but it's calling to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment